Dates: Oct. 5-9, 2019, Shanghai, China
Host: Asian Demographic Research Institute (ADRI), Shanghai University
Tutor: Guy Abel
R Language is a useful instrument to handle, investigate and visualize data. In order to help students of demography to master this tool, Professor Guy Abel made a five-day workshop to help students to comprehend R language. This workshop has two parts. The first part focused on the introduction of the R statistical language for handling, investigating and displaying demographic data. The second part, organized by the IUSSP Scientific Panel on International Migration: Strengthening the Knowledge Base for Policy explored methods for estimating migration, their implementation in R and visualizing migration patterns.
There are more than 30 scholars or graduate students attended this workshop. Some are ranking officials in their countries while more students at different colleges in different countries such as Thailand, Zambia, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. In particular, it is the first time for ADRI and AMC to accept four students from North Korea to take part in our workshop.
Upon completion of the workshop, participants were familiar with the R environment, its basic functions and more advanced methods from some of the most popular R packages for importing, manipulating and visualizing data. They have accustomed to common strategies used to estimate migration and visualize patterns.
1) An introduction to R, including basic R functions, accessing R packages and using RStudio effectively.
2) Visualizing demographic data in R using the ggplot2 package, including basic charts, facet plots and maps.
3) Managing demographic data in R using the tidyverse suite of packages, including reading data of different formats into R and summarizing, combining and reshaping data within R.
4) Methods for estimating migration in a variety of missing data situations and their implementation in R.
5) Visualizing migration data in R using the circlize package.
Participants will gain the experience in each of these areas through lectures interspersed with practical computing exercises. Besides experience of handling data using statistical software, participants should also have a basic knowledge of demography, mathematics and statistics.
Deadline of application: July 15, 2019
Please apply through:
Contact: Yu Zhang, email@example.com
Tel: 00 86 21 6613 2080
Address: No. 99 Shangda Road, Shanghai, China